Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Forget Redbox, We have READbox!!



We are always trying new ways to reach our patrons. Since the library is closed for two weeks due to testing and book fair, I decided to try online checkouts. I made a simple form on Google Docs and posted it on my library web page. I call it READ BOX CHECKOUT. I sent instructions and pictures to the teachers before spring break explaining the procedure.

The students just need to fill out the form with their name, teacher's name, the title of the book and if it is fiction, nonfiction or an everybody book. 

We get the orders and fill it to be ready for the student to pick up the next day. It is great. The children are enjoying it. They have to check eLibrary for the correct title. If the book is missing or checked out, I email the teacher letting her know and put the book on hold for the student. Then I choose a book or two that might be similar to the book they order. I check out those books and make it a "suggestion". 

We have a display with "READ BOX" on it. The books are ready for pick up. Checked out and labeled.

We are getting books in the students hands and it is a great use of technology!

0 comments:

Post a Comment